Monday, October 24, 2016

Breathe New Life Into Wooden Blocks

We've all played with wooden blocks as small children.
But the motivation and excitement about playing with wooden blocks fades once students enter first grade and beyond.  But simple wooden blocks can be fantastic engineering tools!  


STEM, STEM, STEM.  STEM this, STEM that, STEM is the buzz.  I have embraced STEM and love it but it's the E that excites me the most.  E is for Engineering....building.  Building means play and creativity and perseverance and imagination and reflection.  So combine wooden blocks and Engineering and you get
click to take a peek

I just added this to my small math groups and my students love it!  
The motto of the activity is: Build it tall, build it wide, but don't go outside
(the perimeter).  Students fill the gray space up and then build upwards to see what kind of structure they create.


I admit, I sat and played with this one evening last weekend while watching a show on Hulu and it was fun and relaxing!





No comments:

Post a Comment