Tuesday, July 17, 2018

TLF: Chapter 1 Recharge After School

How much time do you spend, at the school where you teach, planning and preparing for your students
. . .outside of your workday?
How much time do you spend, at home planning and preparing for your students. . .outside of your workday?

If you're like most American teachers, TOO MUCH time.  I find it hard to decrease the amount of time I spend planning and prepping because of the pressure I feel to do my job well and I want to be Super Woman and do it all (family, work, blogging & TPT, running, etc.).  But I totally agree with Timothy Walker when he says that teaching "is more like a marathon than a sprint" and that we have a tough time pacing ourselves, even when our bodies tell us to slow down.  I'm a runner and have always viewed my teaching year as a marathon.  I can pace myself pretty well and as soon as I cross the finish line I CELEBRATE and play hard during the summer.  

So within the realm of recharging after school, here are three things Walker suggests:


1. Work smarter, not harder.
     Walker doesn't give specific examples.  Maybe finding and using a TPT resource instead of creating it yourself (I'm SO guilty of that) is an example.  I finally started doing this last year and was like, "Duh, that saved me a lot of time!"  I really like to create stuff and am super picky so that's why I just always make stuff.  I would love to get your ideas for how to accomplish smarter instead of harder.
2. Prioritize your work.
     Making sure the most important things get done after school before you leave and not sweating the small stuff that remains is the message I get here.  I've personally started doing this last year and it works. . .but I'm still left with anxiety over when to get those things done and being okay with them staying my "to do" list for a while.
3. Set clear boundaries between work and rest.
       This one is the hardest for me because I'm a work-before-play person.  I'm just that kind of person and it was a good strategy for me at the start of my career before I had a husband and family.  I know it takes something like 21 days to form a habit so if I get in the habit of taking me-time (a.k.a. rest time) before doing school work at home, it'll happen, right?


Next up: Simplify the Space

No comments:

Post a Comment