Saturday, May 31, 2014

Saturday Apps #8



Apps make the world go round....well not quite, but they do make our mobile devices go.  I stumble upon apps, I find apps on Pinterest and Facebook and seek out apps on AppsGoneFree. 

This week I'm sharing: Book Retriever, which is available for both the iPad and the iPhone.
This app is .99 and serves 2 main purposes:  To help you catalog your classroom  library AND allow students to check out classroom library books by scanning bar codes and keeping track of it all.  The later is the reason I'm excited about it.

Our PTA bought us a set of small, color books to use for our homework program.  To keep track of who has what book and if any are missing were my concerns and needs.  

This is the home screen and shows all the available features.

* Add books: you can either scan the bar code (ISBN number) or enter a book manually.  Often the app doesn't have a book's information on record, so then you have to manually enter it.
This is the manual entry screen.  Not sure what every field means (different levels).
* My Classroom Library:  This shows all of the books in your collection.
It will even show you if a book is checked out, by whom and the expected return date.
Checking out books is made easy by scanning the bar code of a book, but you have to go in and set up your class.  I envision training my kids how to check out and check in books so it can be an independent part of our 'Morning Work' routine.

The only thing I DON'T like about this app is that, once you have scanned a barcode to enter a book and the app recognizes the book and enters its information, you CAN'T edit it.  The only reason I would want to edit is to change the (DRA) level of the book because I didn't agree with what was recommended.  

After entering all of my books into this app, my next step is to make a small, elevated iPad holder so kids can easily check out and check in books by scanning them. 

Go check it out and I hope you enjoy it as much as I am!








No comments:

Post a Comment