Monday, February 16, 2015

Valentine's Robot & LEGO Challenge

Each year I encourage my students to make their own Valentine container and each year I'm more and more impressed with their creativity!  This year there was: a scorpion, a bird house, a MineCraft character, Fly Guy's home AND this guy

This is Vinny, my Valentine robot.  I went through our recycling bin, bought some silver spray paint and went through the garage cupboards to find all of his decorations.  The eyes, however, are electric tea candles and the heart is from a necklace I found at Walmart and it flashes whenever it is on.  I made an opening in his head for student Valentine cards. I had so much fun making it and the kids loved it.


If you follow my blog then you know that I do small math groups and that one of those groups is for building.  LEGOs are a fantastic building material and so far kids build and create whatever they want but I wanted something more...
One day I went in to Target and of course started by perusing the Dollar Bins and I found 3 different packets of LEGOs that contained 30-60 pieces and directions on how to build the specific item.  So I repackaged them (in small kid friendly plastic tubs, from Michael's) Kids try to complete the building of the 
object before our groups are done and I take their picture if they do.  



It's fun to see which kiddos can easily follow the directions and recreate an object.  But I wanted to do even more with LEGOs and unleash their creativity, so I created LEGO challenges...which I'll debut tomorrow!


Stay tuned...



No comments:

Post a Comment