Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Rock Stars & Birthdays

Can you imagine if teachers were rock stars?
Well we kind of are.  We are on stage everyday with an audience.  
We love what we're doing but it's tiring and we put in long hours.
I saw the Red Hot Chili Peppers tonight in concert and it was AWESOME!  I listen  to them while doing long bike rides and runs.  And although I was enjoying myself and shakin' my head to the music, two teaching thoughts ran across my mind:


1) I would love to do my job on a big stage with awesome music and just dance all over the place!
2) I found my mind wandering away from some songs and focusing, instead, on the great visuals that were taking place on a huge screen behind the band...I bet that's what some kids do in our classrooms too :-)
Now to introduce my 5-year-old to their music...hee, hee, hee!

And I'm still thinking about birthdays because I finished something I've wanted to do in my classroom for years but only got about 25% of the way with it.  I've created a "Birthday Bag" pack that includes photos of what mine looks like and all the directions, labels and pages needed.  The reason I suddenly worked on it and finished it is because I found a treasure at Lakeshore this summer, which I'm using at the actual Birthday "bag".  So check it out if you're so inclined.
And I have a question for everyone out there:  What/How/When do you celebrate summer birthdays?  I've done half birthdays and I've also done "Last Week of School Summer Birthday FIESTA", but I'd like summer birthdays to get to take home the Birthday Bag too.  Plus, my little guy is turning 1 on August 17th, which (in a few years) means he won't get to celebrate his birthday at school and will be a summer birthday kid :(

So how do you do it?



No comments:

Post a Comment