Monday, March 9, 2015

Non-Fiction Nuggets

I don't put my baskets of Non-Fiction books into our classroom library until January....
September
January
I know the Common Core is all about non-fiction but I love to exhaust my Fiction supply so the introduction of non-fiction is a HUGE deal...especially for boys.

After 2-3 weeks of immersing ourselves in non-fiction I find it starts to wain a bit.  I wanted to create something that would rehook them AND encourage them to write about what they've read.  Here it is:

and it's a FREEBIE!

I really wanted to find a way of having kids write more but I wanted it to be short and sweet and tie to what they were reading. In my classroom, this is a 'Writing Station' choice that goes up in the hallway on our 'Non-Fiction Nuggets' bulletin board to showcase their writing and learning.  

My next step is to cut apart a non-fiction reader and cut out pictures that show all of these features and post them on the board.

Check it out and see if it's something that would be good for your classroom and your students.


No comments:

Post a Comment