Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Chair Pockets


Do you notice something different about these two photos?

I've always wanted chair pockets for my students.  You know, the things that look like folded and sewn pillowcases that slip onto a student's chair?  That's where I'd like my students to keep the books they're reading (guided reading and from our classroom library).  Last year I used sturdy little bags I found at IKEA for .25 a piece and hung them on the back of each student's chair with those removable hooks.  It was awesome until the hooks started coming off and it drove me nuts.  I know you can order them from Lakeshore or Really Good Stuff but the shipping to Alaska is OuTrAgEoUs!

So I went back to the drawing board and hadn't figured anything out until about 2 weeks ago....the parent of one of my students (an angel sent from heaven this year) said, "Would you like some chair pockets?  My mom sews and can make you a class set and bring them up next week when she comes up to visit."  My eyes just about popped out of my head and my jaw hit the floor as I muttered "Yes please!".  

Here is what we got:



She even stitched our school name and a paw print on each one!  If you are interested in making chair pockets for your students, here's a great tip: reinforce each side of it with ribbon.  Just fold the ribbon in half and sew it onto each side and it'll help the stitching stay intact longer :-)





No comments:

Post a Comment